If you want to learn how to code, or even just become more proficient with your computer skills, it’s important to understand the pros and cons of programming languages, as well as the reasons why different ones are used for different purposes.
Bash Programming is the shell programming language used on most Linux and BSD systems. It’s pretty powerful, but also a little hard to wrap your mind around. Bash is the most popular programming language. Bash is used for shell scripting, command execution and text manipulation. Bash is the oldest programming language and the most widely used language for writing scripts.
What is Bash Programming?
Bash programming is an open-source shell scripting language that is used for the Linux operating system. It is written in C and its syntax is similar to Perl. Bash was originally developed by Brian Fox. He also contributed to the bash shell, the GNU Bash, and the BSD Bourne Shell. In 1991, he started working for the AT&T Bell Laboratories in Murray Hill, New Jersey.
Why is it called Bash Programming?
The name Bash means “Oh my God” or “Holy sh*t!” in English.
Where does it come from?
It was developed in 1984 by Brian Fox, and it is named after the command “bash”. The command is the one used to execute another program, but it also means “Oh my God”.
What is it used for?
Bash is used for various tasks like writing shell scripts, web server administration, file operations, and so much more. It can also be used for CGI scripts.
What is a Shell Script?
A shell script is a computer program or an interactive user command that is executed by a Unix shell.
What are the different types of Bash Scripts?
There are two types of Bash Scripts, the first one is for shell scripting and the second one is for programming. They are described below.
Shell Script: It is used to perform some tasks on the command line. These tasks include system administration, scripting, and configuration.
Programming Bash Script: It is used to perform some tasks like data analysis, data mining, web application development, and many more.
How to create a Bash Script?
There are many ways to create a Bash Script. Let’s see the most popular ones.
- Create a file and save it as Bash Script.
- Create a file in the text editor and save it as Bash Script.
- Open the terminal and type bash scriptname.
- Type bash scriptname.
8 Reasons why you Love Bash Programming
- You can use it on all platforms – Bash is the most powerful programming language. It supports all the major operating systems. You don’t need to install any software or any tool to run it. You can use it on Windows, Linux, and macOS.
- You can write scripts – With Bash, you can write scripts that will automate your daily tasks.
- You can use it for the command line – You can use it for shell scripting, command execution, and text manipulation. You can use it for automation, security and backup purposes.
- You can share it – Bash is an open-source programming language. So, you can share it with anyone who wants to use it.
- It is easy to learn – You can learn it within a couple of hours. You can start using it for your own needs.
- You can use it for almost everything – It is an easy and powerful programming language for nearly all the activities. You can use it for almost everything.
- You can use it for almost everything – It is a powerful programming language. It supports almost all the programming languages. You can use it for almost everything.
It is free – The best thing about it is that it is free to use. You can use it for your own needs.
I am sure that you have heard about the basic Bash programming or you have used it in your previous projects, but if you have never used it, then you should definitely try it. If you are a developer and you are looking for a fast and reliable scripting language for your project, then you should definitely go for Bash. It is a very simple and easy language to use and it is a very effective and powerful language.
10 Reasons why you Hate Bash Programming?
We know that Bash is one of the oldest and most popular programming languages in the world, but sometimes, people hate Bash programming. There are many reasons for hating Bash programming. Bash is an acronym for Bourne-Again Shell. The name is given due to the fact that the first version of the script was written by Stephen Bourne and Richard M. Stallman.
Here are some reasons which you might not know:
- It is a command-line programming language – The main purpose of this language is to run scripts. These scripts are written in shell scripting languages.
- It is a part of the Unix family – Unix is a family of open-source operating systems. Bash is one of the most important and widely used scripting languages of Unix.
- It is the default scripting language for many operating systems – The Bash is one of the oldest scripting languages that is used by many developers and programmers.
- You don’t have an IDE for it – This is another reason why most people hate bash programming, you don’t have any visual interface for bash, so you cannot edit your code easily.
- It is very old – If you have heard about the history of Bash, then you will be knowing that Bash is one of the oldest scripting languages – It has been developed in 1990 and it is still in use. The latest version is available in 2018.
- You can’t debug it – This is the biggest problem with bash, you can’t run the program on the emulator and you can’t debug your code, so you can’t check what is going wrong.
- You can’t modify it easily – If you are looking for a shell that can be edited by human beings then you need to look for a better alternative. The only way to modify your code is through the command line.
- There is no documentation for it – If you are a beginner then you need to look for a tutorial that will help you to understand the basic concept. This is the only way that you can learn how to use bash programming.
- It is hard to learn – If you are not an expert then you will face lots of difficulties while using bash. You will need to spend lots of time learning the basics and there will be a lot of things that you will not know.
- It is not well maintained – There are a lot of things that need to be done to maintain a shell, but the problem is that most of the developers are working on other languages and tools.
As you can see that there are lots of reasons why you should avoid bash programming, but the main thing is that you shouldn’t get into it. If you are planning to work on Linux then it is better that you use another language instead of bash. So, don’t waste your time and just go for something that you can easily use and enjoy.
As we have seen above that there are 10 reasons why you love and hate bash programming. So, you can make a choice whether you love it or not.