• Where to start with MIPS Assembly?

LillyIsaacson Member

Im looking to learn MIPS Assembly but have no idea where to start, I’ve tried Wikipedia, but its so damn hard to understand what is being said there. I’d like an easy book/tutorial for complete beginners that explains MIPS with simple explanations.

• ShikhaTan Member

I’m not too hot on assembly but I know the WP page is not the place to go to learn to code it. A quick search brings up: [the first hit for ‘learn mips assembly’]

Besides that, you’ll also want something specific to your coding environment, and possibly the device you’re coding for. If you find these hard to understand, I recommend you take a step back and read up on assembly programming, and computer architectures, particularly RISC, since MIPS is in this instruction set family. Happy hacking.

• SapnaVishwas Member

I used to LOVE programming in ASSEMBLER! Even when I started programming in C I couldn’t resist the temptation to best the compiler with my own embedded ASSEMBLY code.

Programming in ASSEMBLY takes a completely different mindset from traditional Procedural Programming or Object Oriented Programming or 4GL (not the next BIG thing that everybody thought it was going to be) languages.

Programming in ASSEMBLY Language means you are a bit twiddler. You have to do everything (at least at first until you develop some procedural constructs) you have to move things in and out of Registers, Jump to locations in code, manage all resources without any of the automatic garbage collection, push and pop things off of the stack.

It’s not for the feint of heart that’s for sure. I had an Engineer friend back in the early 90’s that could look at the HEX of an Executable and insert things into THAT to make the program work the way he wanted it to. Understand what I’m saying there. He’d open up the executable file in a HEX Editor and cobble away.

I was always astonished at that. It was his ‘savant’ ability.

I found a decent pdf file you can look at

http://www.tik.ee.ethz.ch/education/lectures/TI1/materials/assemblylanguageprogdoc.pdf

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.