• Programming How to start: A Guide

Arnold Member

So I really want to be able to program, making websites, programs, games etc. But no matter what i do i cant seem to concentrate and keep focused. which stops me from learning code and eventually i move onto other crap Facebook etc.

Is there anything i can do which should keep me concentrated and make sure the info i am learning sinks in?

sorry if it’s a bit confusing but i don’t know how to put it into words

• Ganesh Member

That’s normal.. programming is about altering the way you think. And naturally, if you try to think in a different manner than you have previously been doing, it will be hard in the beginning.

Do not try to LEARN code. Try to understand what’s going on in the code and the learning will happen automatically as you read more code and program on your own. Do not be afraid of referring to your book, tutorial or manual. Even experienced programmers need to do that from time to time.

Start with a simple language like Python and set small, do-able goals. If you aim on making a game after having programmed for only a week, forget it, there’s no way you’re going to do it. But instead, try some simple stuff like calculator.

• Adelaid Member

a good tutor will do wonders for your programming.

I started the java tutorials by thenewboston (YouTube him) and 2 weeks later, I had learned more from him than a whole year of Java programming in Uni.

I found learning programming from a book to be VERY boring, and tedious, and I’d often get bored and do something else.

Once i had a grasp on normal Java, i jumped over to Android Programming, and got stuck in. The best thing about that is i can start to build an app, and test it out on my phone as i go. You get to see what your lines of code turn into, right in front of your eyes. It’s a great feeling to see the finished result

• CarltonBirch Member

Python is good for beginners , you may try ruby too . Learn ruby from codeacademy or somewhere else. Use shoes toolkit to create GUI apps in the beginning, next move to other tool-kits

• Ganesh Member

To be good at it ,you have to LOVE it , to want to do it ,and want to learn, to do some things over and over til you get it right , was known as the BRUTE FORCE METHOD … i was lucky coz back then cud start at low levels ,whereas today everyone has to begin at the top with SQL and nested scripts and cryptic code .. which can be heartbreaking ,and a turn off ..

started with some assembly , then 3rd gen stuff like BASIC ( which i really did love , and wrote lots of code in that old fashioned ” interpreted” way with line numbers , i started before compilers became readly available .. i would write little routines in my mind as i went on cross country runs, such as to speed up loops , to read arrays ,do sorts … all kind of stuff , i LOVED it .. and as the language became more powerful , with more syntax options ,and compliers and debuggers , i improved with it …

did Pascal ,then took up C , also got into some early disassembly …

then got hooked on the “new” HTML , and wrote heaps pages , using manual coding with Notepad as an editor … spent hours typing in each and every tag and page setups , all this before Dreamweaver … but ,once again i LOVED it ,and the output results i achieved …

the message … be enthusiastic , love it … if you can’t ,then you won’t be good at it , you’re really wasting you time , and i sincerely recommend you then think about trying something else

• SapnaVishwas Member

Its not that they are fundamentally wrong, its that they are slow. You can get much farther reading a book on, lets say C++, than you can watching his 10-13 minute videos.

Also he isn’t “simplifying” things, he is dumbing them down. Explaining complex concepts simply is useful. Dumbing them down isn’t. What makes it worse is sometimes he can’t even explain what he is making.

I could go on, but I wont. I don’t want to start a fight. All I’m trying to say is that there are better options when trying to learn a programming language.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
en_USEnglish