• Program to develop "Product Key Creator" for USB drives

SapnaVishwas Member

Basically, I’m currently working on a subscription based product, I plan to repackage it unto usb thumbdrives and sell them. However I want to set up a product key that will be required in order to access the files that are on the usb drive. Thing is I want the require product key to be different every time. Is this possible to do or not? Also if not, what are my alternatives to have something like this done? And lastly, if I was to have a programmer create a product key template and set it up with my files, what would be a good estimate I should offer or expect to see?

• Ganesh Member

You’d probably require some form of encryption. Steps that I see in my mind:
    1: Encrypt the files in a way that allows decryption with the license key
    2: Have a non-encrypted EXE file that prompts for the license key and then decrypts the remaining files if entered correctly
    3: Allow normal use of the files

You could also just make a single EXE with the remaining files compressed/encrypted inside of it. Entering the correct license key allows it to extract the files to the drive.

• Adan Member

the easiest way would really be to have a self extracting exe with password ( key ) protection.

If you’d want to encrypt the USB drive directly, the product will become quite expensive as you will need to pay for the encryption software on the USB drive and that is expensive …

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
en_USEnglish