• Issues with Installation of SQL – SERVER in a NT 4.0

SapnaVishwas Member

Issues with Installation of SQL – SERVER in a NT 4.0. The system give us an error: Can start SQLSERVER service, installation unsuccessfully.

• ShikhaTan Member

Create a specific user for SQL Server in the Users manager for NT 4.0.Give the ID login as service rights. When installing SQL Server, tell the installation program to use this login and password. Be careful, this ID and password is case sensitive

• Fierro Member

I do it and There are the same problem. The message is
    "The SQL SERVER installation could not be successfully completed.

• Abhey Member

Verity the following directories exist:
    \mssql\binn
    \msssql\log
    \mssql\charsets
    \mssql\data

Veriry the following files appear in the devices;
    master,
    msdbdata,
    msdblog

Verity the following databses exist
    master
    model
    msdb
    pubs
    tempdb

Try starting the SQL server from the command prompt
    with the -f option.

Look at the NT event logs for more info.

In the sql60\ dir do this:
    dir *.out /od

examine this output files for more clues.

Hope this helps
    db.

• Ganesh Member

guess you installed SQL from CD?
    I have encountered some cryptic ( and i mean cryptic like couldnt register file ? check your path for spaces ) installation problems with different applications like MS Office, Developer Studio. I found out that the problem was the CD player, and when i tried another CD player it worked just fine.

I am using an Compaq server, and they are known to have trouble with the CD player

Maybe you have a different problem, but I suggest you try another CD player to eliminate the hardware.

• Abhey Member

Still busy installing that little SQLServer program?
    Then maybe you’d better take it from the top. Reinstall Windows NT Server (DON’T install it as a domain server). Why? Because your registry is probably messed up by all those installation/uninstall experiments.

Then re-install SQLServer. Make sure the server is connected to
    a network and is running at least IPX/SPX or NetBEUI protocols. Don’t forget to specify the same protocols for SQLServer when you install it, otherwise both services can’t communicate with eachother. No network? Install the MS Loopback adapter and bind IPX/SPX and/or NetBEUI to it. Create a SQLServer account in the accounts-database and assign ‘logon as a service’ rights to it (extended rights dialog).

If that fails, go to Configuration->Services, select MSSQLServer service and modify startup so that it logs on using the local system account. If SQLServer tells you that you can do ‘other things’ while SQLServer is setting up the master-database, then DON’T listen to it. Let it finish and don’t touch it.

SQLServer installation is supposed to be childsplay. It should take about 15 minutes to do so. Since this is giving you such terrible headaches, you also might try to install NT/SQLserver on a different (clean) machine.

If you have only one PC which can’t be reinstalled (because it’s in use) then may the force be with you…

• Ganesh Member

If you are working on NT on a stand-alone PC you should install the MS-loopback adapter.

You can find it in the network part of the settings.

After you have installed it you can run setup from sql-server.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.