• Is it still worth picking up Java in 2017-2018?

codewithc
    CWC Keymaster

So recently I’ve been offered a job as a Junior Software Developer with a salary of 650 euros which isn’t bad (in my country) compared to what I have now as a Web Developer with almost one year working experience… I’ve never coded in Java, however the job starts next year so I do have some time to get familiar with it. But is it worth (apart from the salary, I’m thinking I can get good pay from Web Dev also) trading Web Development for Software Development? Isn’t Java slowly dying?

• codewithc
    CWC Keymaster

It isn’t as easy to disassociate this language with the devices it uses.

Java is associated with coffee. Prob the go to drink for coders

Java is integral to Android.

The language is easy to learn once you can grasp the concept of objects, things with values and attributes. Java is an Object-Oriented programming language after all. Theres very good documentation on Oracle too.

I have no idea on how much money is to be made on web development but considering the other sites I go to outside my comfort zone I imagine its a giant mess meant to be put back together. So theirs that.

• codewithc
    CWC Keymaster

Java will not die… this is nonsense. Take a look at android programming.. everything was and is still written in Java.

• codewithc
    CWC Keymaster

Recently C# and C/C++ have become more popular among mobile apps and they are still growing… and I’m not talking mobile development here! I want to know if I have a future in software development as a Java Programmer!

• codewithc
    CWC Keymaster

Just wondering. Why cannot we make and create awesome games with python?

• codewithc
    CWC Keymaster

Java could be used as backend for web developpment (like php).

Java is slow ? It’s a jke, an http server powored by java is much more performant than apache (for php).

A java developper is more paid than php developper, because the java ecosystem is much more complicated.

For a first job I would definitely choose java instead of php. You can learn php by your own in few week, not java

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
en_USEnglish