• Help in learning C Programming

Amit Member

I’ve been learning C Programming for about 2 months now(youtube tutorial). But the problem is, I can remember most of the code but I don’t know how and when to use it. Please provide me with some tips and if possible best places for me to increase my knowledge such as tutorial/forum etc. I really love programming. Please help me.

• Adan Member

Question is, why are you learning C? I’m extremely worried if you’re learning a language you’ve identified has no purpose to you. Every language I’ve learnt thus far I’ve learnt for a specific reason, and that reason fuels research into how/where to use it.

So it depends, what type of developer do you want to be? Perhaps by answering that we can point you in the right direction by offering relevant tutorials/tips/advice.

• Abhey Member

Think of a project(game, whatever) you want to create, try to make it. You will gain experience and remember better code

• Ganesh Member

How about a “Tic tac toe” game to start off with?

Inputs will be
    1A, 1B, 1C
    2A, 2B, 2C
    3A, 3B, 3C

Respectively. Keep it simple, no need for any graphical interface.. Use the console.

• Adan Member

There is nothing wrong with learning C per se. C is the root language of C++, Objective C, C#, PHP, etc. Learning the syntax of C will enable any student to migrate with minimal difficulty into the other variations.

Since late 1978, I’ve coded millions of lines of code in more than 11 different languages. The language is irrelevant. Finding the solution or creating the algorithm is paramount.

With a definitive algorithm, I could code in any language if I have something to show me the syntax of the language.

if a = b then
    if(a==b) {
    if a .eq. b then

all are asking, in different languages, if the variable a equals the variable b … one has to know why, at that precise moment, it is necessary to place that statement in the sequence of steps.

The discipline of programming requires that a person create solutions (hopefully elegant, easily maintainable solutions) to perform a particular task.

Remember, a program is a set of finite steps that performs a task. Nothing more.

I found this MIT course excellent for the beginning student to grasp (fundamentally) what programming is.

As a bonus, the course will also teach, as part of the lab exercises, Python.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX3jvD7XFPs

• Abhey Member

Grab a good copy of the second edition K&R (Programming C by Dennis Ritchie and Brian Kernighan). It’s co-written by someone who designed and implemented the C language, has some solid advice in there. It teaches pointers better than any youtube tutorial ever can, and has some handy advice about the nooks and crannies of the language. And all in in the space of 1/2 and inch. It is considered THE DEFINITIVE GUIDE to C.

After you’ve learned C, find a project you really really like, and start hacking on it! It could be anything, a game, a itch-scratching tool, et cetera

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.