• This topic is empty.
  • C program to check whether the given number is a prime number or not

codewithc
    CWC Keymaster

Let’s discuss the basic idea behind writing a C program to check whether the given number is a prime number or not.

If you want to learn C programming, then you must be knowing about the basics of C language and its syntax.

The C language is a general purpose programming language that is designed to be a portable assembler. The C language is widely used to develop applications that run on multiple operating systems.

So, let’s see how to write a C program to check whether the given number is a prime number or not.

Write a C Program to Check Whether the Given Number is a Prime Number

To write a C program to check whether the given number is a prime number or not, you need to start with a simple function.

Here is the syntax of the function to check whether the given number is a prime number or not.

[dm_code_snippet background="no" background-mobile="no" slim="yes" bg-color="#abb8c3" theme="dark" language="clike" wrapped="no" height="" copy-text="Copy Code" copy-confirmed="Copied"]

int is_prime(int x);

[/dm_code_snippet]

Parameters:

[dm_code_snippet background="no" background-mobile="no" slim="yes" bg-color="#abb8c3" theme="dark" language="clike" wrapped="no" height="" copy-text="Copy Code" copy-confirmed="Copied"]

x – The number whose primality is to be checked.

[/dm_code_snippet]

Return Value:

The function returns either 0 if the given number is a prime number or 1 if the given number is not a prime number.

Sample Output:

Here is an example of a program to check whether the given number is a prime number or not.

Code:

/*
    Prime number Checker
    */
    int is_prime(int x)
    {
    int i = 2, j = 2;
    if (x == 1)
    return 1;
    while (i < sqrt(x))
    {
    if (x % i == 0)
    return 0;
    i++;
    }
    return 1;
    }
    int main()
    {
    int n, i, j;
    printf("Enter the number to be checked for its primality: ");
    scanf("%d", &n);
    for (i = 2; i <= sqrt(n); i++)
    {
    j = 2;
    while (j <= n/i)
    {
    if (is_prime(n - j*i))
    break;
    j++;
    }
    if (j == n/i)
    printf("%d is a prime number.\n", n);
    else
    printf("%d is not a prime number.\n", n);
    }
    getch();
    return 0;
    }

[/dm_code_snippet]

Hope you learned about the basics of C programming and writing a C program to check whether the given number is a prime number or not.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
en_USEnglish