• A typical question: How to get out there?

Miranda65M Member

I’m currently two years away from starting university, and I hope to study Computer Science, in which they program in Java. Although I have very basic programming background and none is required for the course – I want to have some kind of idea of what I will work with. I definitely want to learn Java in the next two years, although I don’t think it’s a language good to start with.

Let’s just say – I know 0 languages, none, nothing. What should I start my programming path with ? Something that’s easy but also useful. It may be a web language, it may not.

• ShikhaTan Member

While I don’t know Java, I can say that I started in a basic programming language called LISP (Using EdScheme), and then switched over to C++, while also dabbling in some basic C. C++ seems like a great language to learn, as it teaches excellent concepts, and is very powerful. From what I hear, the only downside to C++ is that it’s so picky in forcing you to learn things the right way (via compiling errors), rather than trying to figure out what you meant (and essentially, may end up guessing incorrectly, causing run time errors, rather than compile errors, which can be worse, because they can be hidden).

• Amit Member

If you would like to start programming, start with an easy language. That way you get the syntax down and can move on. I would suggest C. Once you have a handle on C you can start moving on to programming languages like Java, C++, etc. To learn these languages is a different story, as everyone learns differently. I would suggest reading books on programming, and if you are stuck with something search a quick video. My recommendations on books would be the “Head First” series.

• SapnaVishwas Member

Start with c but when you move to c++ there is difference between c and c++. c is structured programming language if i remember correct and c++ is object oriented language. JAVA is object oriented as well. it not complicated but its huge in ints libraries and other stuff. i love java more than c and believe me java is fun language u just have to do practice in that .

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
en_USEnglish