• Which to learn : C++ or Visual C++ ?

LowellFeierabend Member

I am a 2nd year B.Tech (B.S) student.

Object Oriented Programming using C++ was in my course in this semester.

I did C++ for the first time from this book by Mcgraw-Hill written by E.Balagurusamy.

I still feel I haven’t yet cleared my concepts to that level that I must start coding bigger programs.

I have heard about “The Complete Reference” books by Herbert Schildt.People say they are the guides for learning a language completely.
    So there’s this book by Mr.Schildt :-

http://books.google.co.in/books/about/C++_The_Complete_Reference_4th_Edition.html?id=KvZQ9Pp-VHMC

I use MS Visual C++ compiler for compiling my programs and some things are a bit different there.

If one wants to develop softwares,games,he has to learn visual C++ then.

Then there’s this book by Mr.Pappas which is complete reference to Visual C++:-

http://www.tmhshop.com/computer-science-engineering/c-programming-2/9780074638101

So which one should i buy for learning C++ completely??
    Should I directly use Visual C++??

• SapnaVishwas Member

To program things in C++ is a lot of work on your own. The learning curve is very steep and you might get put off if you try and dive in too deep. I’d honestly recommend some form of Visual Studio work (.NET, VB, anything) to at least get your feet wet.

• ShikhaTan Member

” … and some things are a bit different there”
    No surprise there. Microcheese is ALWAYS doing just about the OPPOSITE of everyone else when it comes to STANDARDS.

They are the most Arrogant, Pig Headed, We-Don’t-give-a-~ Censored ~.-what-others-think company in existence.

Learning a language is just that! A language.

You have to have in your mind “Where’s the nearest bathroom?” before you can translate it into another language. All languages have the ability to express something similar to that.

With programming languages it’s a bit different. Some languages can’t get you from point A to point B efficiently because of their inherit power in what it is capable of.

Regardless of the language you have to be able to break apart problems into solutions before coding anything.

Regardless if you use OOP or PP you still have to come up with the algorithms. And as a side note EVERYTHING you code, regardless of OOP or PP all flows down to the lowest common denominator which is the Machine’s ASSEMBLER Code. Upper level languages give us an easier way to enter the solution.

Some languages lend themselves to doing some things much easier than other languages. For example (using older languages) it’s is much easier to do graphics (draw lines, circles, etc.) in C than it would be using COBOL.

If you are working with Objects then you need to understand that paradigm fully so that you can take advantage of its power.

If you are just starting out and you’ve written only a handful of programs, I would suggest learning a simpler language first, one that’s more forgiving to improve your analytical skills.

Once you can create, in your mind, solutions / algorithms you can then apply the syntax of whatever language you choose to write in.

That being said, once you get to the point where solutions come fairly easy then the language does make a difference because as you develop your style you start to understand the little nuances of the language; different more elegant ways of doing things that make coding more efficient, faster, easier to maintain and more compact.

Try not to get into the “Gee Whiz” factor too much by coding things that project more of a “Look what I can do” rather than “This code does the job great!”

If, eventually you decide to concentrate on C++ then learn the version that adheres to the correct standards.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.