• Recent Android Development tutorials?

Ganesh Member

I’m currently set my mind to learning Android. Now I already have quite some Java/XML experience, however, I can’t seem to find a good and *updated* Android tutorial. Most of the tutorials date from 2011, which in IT-related subjects, is pretty outdated.

I was wondering if there are any new and also good Android video tutorials, which you could recommend me. They should be for beginners though, since I’ve never really worked with Android.

• SapnaVishwas Member

I have a little bit of work using the Kendo UI mobile platform for Cordova, which is HTML5 based, to that there is a good book

“Building_Mobile_Applications_Using_Kendo_UI_Mobile_and_ASP.NET_Web_API”.

which covers the basics for that platform, but using the INTEL-XDK compiler, which is free, for testing and compiling, instead of the TELERIK compiler/testing add to VS2012 ultimate, which requires a license.

But this, of course,is only interesting if you are using HTML5 as the programming language of your choice.

• Amit Member

I’m actually an Android developer and my main work at University has been Android development. I mad the decision to only target Android devises running 4.1+. You still get 60% of every single Android device which is estimated to around 600 million devices running 4.1+. It also makes development 10x easy as every single API is exactly the same for 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4 with a few new ones being introduced into 4.4.

Probably the best tutorials I’ve seen are the Vogella ones. Nearly all the tutorials are based on Android 4.0 or above. I don’t know how in depth they are as I only used them for some minor things I was having problems with but what I did see was pretty good.

Just do a google search for “Vogella Android” and you should get a pretty nice starting point. If you have any problems you can PM me as well.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.