Code with C | Programming: Projects & Source Codes Forums PHP How to Login with a username via form using PHP sessions

This topic contains 6 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Adan 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

RenaldoL25

Basically, I’m really struggling with my code right now.

I need to login with a username via a form using PHP sessions, which will then be shown on the page after you login.

Amit

I don’t really have any atm as I’ve been trying loads of different stuff.

Here’s what I’m basing it around on the first page:

< ?php session_start (); $username = $_POST['username']; ?>

I also have a form on the same page, and then I need to print the username on another page

Adan

“Login” usually means there’s a password (or rather, one-way-encoded password, like a hash) that get’s compared to user provided password (or rather, the userpass gets to be encoded using the same algorithm, and then compared).

So:
    – HTML form sends data to the server
    – PHP gets the data as POST
    – you get the username and search if there is actually a user with that name,
    – if not – error out with “no username or password wrong” – usually you don’t want to giveaway that the provided username is valid
    – if so – you extract (from database?) some basic details, amongst that there’s encoded pass *
    – you encode provided password using the same algorithm used at registration
    – you compare the two and if their different you error out
    – if pwd is valid, you set some session variables and show success page

on whatever other page you just start session and see if your session variables are set – if so, the user was logged in. Of course then you can add validation, maybe the user had different IP, browser/special cookie last request? If so, it’s possible (but not surely!) that it’s a session hijack taking place. But you can read about that on your own. Wink

*) this is actually usually the point were you either get some valid data back, or not, and you know if username is valid. I’ve split it to steps for clarity.

Gallard

So, I don’t usually provide source code as I prefer to let others do the studying themselves but just provide tips.

I assume you have your HTML code setup, if not, please learn HTML before proceeding to PHP.

Then, one you have your form pointing to the php script you can do:

Please note this code is untried and untested, so I have no idea if this actually works (been a long time since I did non-OOP PHP).

Hope this helps and use it as a basis for growing your knowledge.

on top of the page :

then you can read out the username on the same page via :

and assign it to a session variable :

or read it directly into the session variable :

Then, for the entire validity for the session you can pull up the username via :

Abhey

And when the user logout. you can use following code to destroy or unset the value of the session.

Adan

Have you got this straighten out yet if not here is a small solution to your question:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.