• C++ Member-Pointers – games assignment

Adelaid Member

Hey guys, so I’m in the middle of completing my C++ games assignment and I’ve ran into a pretty decent problem I can’t solve.

The game is complete but the problem comes with coding the menu system and the buttons.

My button class is pretty basic, it holds a texture, position and a function to point to when clicked.

void (*m_action)();

Now the problem I’ve ran into is, that works but only for functions declared inside the main method and not inside any other class.

I’m working with a

main
    Game
    Button

The main class holds the game class and the game class holds the button class.

The problem I’ve ran into is sending the button a pointer to a Game::*function rather just a *function.

I’ve tried many things to get this to work but still can’t get the button to hold a member pointer to function inside the game class.

If anyone could help I’d be eternally grateful!

• Amit Member

I’m not sure what do you mean by ‘game class holds the button class.’, let’s suppose this means: ‘game class holds instance of a button class’ (not declaration of this class). In this case simple-sample can look like this (tested in vs2010):

class Button;
    class Game
    {   
       Button button;
       public:   //Function must be public, otherwise it will be impossible do something like this: "Game::Add" outside class Game!
          float Add(float x, float y) { return x + y; }
    };

class Button
    {
       public:
       float (Game::*pt2mfn)(float x, float y);
       Button()
       {
          pt2mfn = &Game::Add;
       }
    };

int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
    {
       Button btn;
       Game game;

//Naturally we will need instance of Game class to call nonstatic, member method!
       std::cout<< (game.*btn.pt2mfn)(1.0f, 1.0f) << std::endl;
       system("pause");
       return 0;
    }

• SapnaVishwas Member

Have a look at boost::function and boost::bind, they may be helpful.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.