• Android App feasibility Check for charity organization

Amit Member

So i’m making an Android App, and just wondering about the best way to do some things (as i’ll probably massively over complicate the task, when there is a much easier way about it).

So basically it’s an app for a small charity organization, and it needs the following:

News feed, send user to their facebook page, a small directory of numbers/addresses, and a link to their shop.

so for the news feed i was going to take in their RSS feed (they have their own), and display it from that. shouldn’t be too hard.

for the facebook bit, it’ll just check to see if the facebook app is installed, if yes then open app to org. page, else open in browser.

this is the toughest bit i think, the phonebook directory;

So it’ll be a small drop down box, select location (there are multiple offices) which will then show Address, phone number, email, and openign hours.

I’ll have to write this all in a small SQLite database, and call up the info as needed…i think?

And as for the shop….well any idea’s welcome.

they have a web shop, on their own website, so maybe open it in the phones browser?…or can i open it within the app itself?

I’m by no means a great coder, but i know a few things, and have already got most of the app design set up (splash screen, buttons etc.) I’m pretty much learning as I’m doing.

i know i’ve asked a lot, so any help would really be appreciated.

Key Factors to Consider ?

1. Target Audience: Who are you trying to reach? Is your audience tech-savvy enough to use an app?
    2. Features and Functionality: What will the app do? Donation processing, event updates, volunteer coordination?
    3. Development Time: How quickly does the app need to be launched? Development can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months.
    4. Budget: This is a biggie. Apps can be pricey to build and maintain. Does your charity have the funds?
    5. Manpower: Who’s going to build this app? Do you have in-house developers, or will you need to outsource?
    6. Data Security: If you’re handling donations, you need to make sure all financial data is secure.
    7. Updates and Maintenance: Who will handle updates, bug fixes, and customer service once the app is live?

Steps for a Feasibility Check ?

1. Market Research: Check out other charity apps. What features do they offer? How well are they doing?
    2. User Surveys: Ask your target audience what they’d like in an app. Use online surveys or interviews.
    3. Cost Estimate: Get quotes from development teams to get an idea of the budget.
    4. Timeline: Create a rough timeline for development, testing, and launch.
    5. Legalities: Look into any legal requirements, especially related to data protection and financial transactions.
    6. Pilot Testing: Before full-scale development, consider creating a Minimum Viable Product (MVP) for pilot testing.

If your charity organization has a broad reach and you’re dealing with a younger, tech-savvy audience, an app could be a game-changer. However, don’t underestimate the commitment it takes to build and maintain an app. It’s not just a “set and forget” kind of deal.

Making an app for a charity is a noble endeavor, but you gotta make sure the juice is worth the squeeze. Go through a rigorous feasibility check to make sure your charity is ready for the app world. Thanks for considering such a worthwhile project, and good luck making a difference one tap at a time! ??

• codewithc
    CWC Keymaster

hat all seems pretty good and definitely achievable. If the shop is static, you could encode it on the device; if it’s dynamic, I suggest just using the web site. Of course you could create a hybrid app – have a look at PhoneGap which will work on multiple mobile platforms, including Android and iOS – that way you get your app for free everywhere once you write it once.

http://phonegap.com/
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.